Central Tabernacle History
Central Tabernacle, an Interdenominational Church, was founded by Reverend and Mrs. L.H. Fortson on
May 20th, 1948. There were 19 charter members.
In 1955, Mrs. Ruth Bovender, daughter of Reverend and Mrs. Fortson, became assistant pastor. She succeeded her father as pastor in 1956. “Sister Ruth”, as she was lovingly called, served forty-three years as pastor until 1999.
Her daughter, Sandra, currently serves as a third generation pastor.